Introducing Ambient: The Environmental DePIN on Solana

So this is a very nice and precise question that I can only answer in part, because on the one side, it is different from manufacturer to manufacturer but even from specific sensor model to the next. Furthermore apart from the existing hardware there are new sensor manufacturers and models under review which greatly differ especially on this topic, and there the coolest news I can not release now, because obviously it has some parts to it that we reserve for presentation.

For the existing hardware

Example of Airqino, the old flagship outdoor sensor:
This sensor has quite some history and prestige in the scientific field, with some units even being used by other projects in Antarctica and the Sahara desert. In the configuration we run them, the sensor components are first calibrated in component production, then assembled into the final product and calibrated again. Now before they get packed for sale they get their final checks and there they are calibrated in Italy in cooperation with a governmental air quality laboratory and tested with certified gases.
Once deployed and having streamed for 30 days, they are post calibrated OTA on the backend for their location against local data metrics, some of the network but also from open access governmental sensors.
There are more post-calibration steps around every 90 days, but to be absolute transparent, at this stage they are done more on the data than on the sensor.

Example of Kaiterra Sensedge Mini:
This sensor is calibrated by the manufacturer to meet RESET certified standards, but over all less calibrations are done compared to Airqino, because it is an indoor unit that has cartridges that deplete over time and are responsible for accurate metrics. If one of the two cartridges is fully depleted (one PM’s other CO²) the respective measurements validated by the cartridge will loose 1-3,5% accuracy which to some degree is mitigated by algorithms on the backend, but ultimately having fresh cartridges is the best.

Example of Atmotube Pro:
A wearable unit that pairs with phones via bluetooth, which is pre-callibrated but has some options in its native App to re-calibrate by heating up and overblowing the internal fan. There is also a procedure that while not “lab quality” it can run a user through a re-calibration process.

Example of Terabee IN5:
This is a high end sensor that ultimately sacrifices esthetics and integration options for accurate measurements and longevity of components. 4 step pre-calibration and then some self-calibration triggered by certain measurement changes.

General for all current hardware:
Optional network induced comparison models via data fusion, satellite evaluation and cross verification to legal accessible public units for outdoor air quality. Indoor air quality is usually too specific to the location

Some sensors like Airqino also have components with limited lifetime expectancy of 5 years where ultimately a part needs to be swapped by manufacturer during maintenance. While this is sometimes unavoidable, Ambient Network evaluates all new future sensor models explicitly to not have this challenge to overcome and if unavoidable at least have far longer lifetime expectancy or lets say, further away maintenance intervals.

Niche Topics:
It really gets tricky when it comes to misplaced sensors, aka someone puts an outdoor unit next to a chimney. Here not only the results are problematic, but also the degradation of components. We try to identify such units by comparisons and algorithms, to soften data impact but ultimately also prompt the sensor owner for a relocation.

3 Likes

Ambient Network on Solana is a fascinating development that leverages blockchain for environmental monitoring. By using air quality sensors, this project can provide reliable and transparent data, potentially expanding to monitor other forms of pollution like light and sound. If successfully implemented, it could play a significant role in environmental sustainability efforts globally by 2024.

2 Likes

I find these quite interesting, especially in the indoor air quality and indoor environment field/area. We’ve worked with Dr Richard Corsi at UC and Dr Lidia Morawska from QUT. With Richard we conducted research into VOC absorption into building materials and then profile their emissions over time and more recently we have worked with Lidia we worked on studying aerosols, especially in relation to COVID transmission via air pathways. Also our company MD is on the Standards Australia committee in relation to indoor air quality, testing methodologies, etc. So I find this area to be quite interesting and sure am looking forward to this project.

2 Likes

Oh wow, so your are actually a professional. This makes for some interesting talks down the line. We also worked with scientists in the past, both internal and external and now have access to not just one of the leading experts in Aerosols from the University of Miami, but also more access to air quality laboratories in US (where prior we were more working with EU).

The thing is, I personally am more the tech person, the device tinkerer of sorts. But working in this topic for 3 years has changed me a lot, while of course it did not give me a scientists knowledge. What I loved always about smart high tier scientists, that they never belittle you. How should I say, I even talked with people from CERN and the reality is, they will often first explain everything on their level, expecting you to understand it. If you signal you can not fully follow, they make it more accessible and populistic, or simply get visual with graphs. But even if after long talking they understand how many worlds apart the knowledge is… they will always hear you out if you hae a wild idea, because a scientist, regardless of his experience will always allow and consider other perstpectives.

Now what are my personal conclusions after 3 years or so? Well not only did I basically build a noob version of an AQ laboratory, because like I said I am a hardware and device tinkerer, and I wanted to compare sensors next to each other. Got access to a nearby unused house that would be broken down 9 month later, so could get an electric line there, tape seal some doors and then basically create a 3 room setup with some old furniture and many boxes of carboard, to simulate rooms with interior and variable air flow. Placed around 30 sensors there over time and tested with various materials, from desinfectant to cleaners, spraypaint, vapes, different fumes and incense sticks. Four times had even some young students come there to play cards to get “human” data.
Aside from those direct results, the most surprising for me was actually the amount of softeners, aerosols, chemicals and gases that our modern interior and furniture has.

All the modern world always wonders why allergies and auto immune stuff rises. I mean there are laminate and vinyl floorings that were designed decades ago to be put in new houses when they are built… to give them time to gas out. Nowadays we buy them off shelf and put them directly into our living space. Cheap laminate will gas out 8 years after you unwrapped it. First 2 years are borderline toxic.

Same goes for certain cheaply made compound materials in furnitures from many brands similar to the sweedish go to source for shelves. They gas out the worst stuff.

If you ever had AQ sensors in a room that you painted with common wall color, you know that you do not want any living being in there for 7-10 days.

On the funny side, sensors will go crazy when you cook, or even think weird stuff is happeneing although it is only spray particles of water from your shower.

Some things are really odd, for example that desinfectant, meant to help for deep cleaning, will leave left over reactions on surfaces where a smart algorithm in an AQ sensor can still date back a week later exactly that desinfectant was used on surfaces and at which time.

There is also weird stuff, where a house can have low particles and PMs because all is “calm” but have rather bad air. Now one switches on the AC or clima unit, and the air will get better, but the PMs go up because the moving air is picking up dust from ground again and it flies around.

Air quality is interesting, and as you can detect so much, from fires to chemicals and many things, it can be a good aggregator for reactionary automations.

And yeah, sensors are cool period.

2 Likes

Yes, we work and have been working in this area for many years and I am sure we will have many conversations into the future.

2 Likes

Nothing more exciting to look over the edge of the DePIN ecosystem and dive into the real utility of the technology.

Aside from the scientific real world usecase, I personally also love to incorporate the smart-home side of things. Especially since after having homeassistant take over my house, the “anyt protocol” to matter hub was the last puzzle piece. It is really funny how many sensical automations you can create with good AQ sensors in a house.

2 Likes

And yet another milestone accomplished yesterday towards the transition to Ambient! Can’t wait to continue the journey!

2 Likes

Short preview on the winners of Short Burst Alpha Campaign! We will post only tomorrow about it on socials.

Also displayed publicly on the campaign:

https://gleam.io/ZFKow/token-airdrop-short-burst-alpha

Everyone should be informed by Gleam if he won, the prices will be distributed after TGE.

For whom was not lucky there, remember there is still the ongoing Long Shot campaign:

https://gleam.io/FK0js/token-airdrop-growth-campaign-long-shot

1 Like

I run 4 sensors for air quality for the old project. As an hvac engineer I truly believe and the air quality science.

1 Like